Parent & Child Program Choices
Infant Parent & Child (2 – 17 months)
Weekly topics such as home environment, movement, order, sleep patterns, independence and language acquisition will offer you moments of clarity in parenting your little one. You will be with your child as she explores simple Montessori materials and joins circle time. You’ll learn a great deal about child development while making new friends in a “mom’s group” atmosphere.
Toddler Parent & Child (18 – 36 months)
Weekly topics such as fostering independence, toilet learning, discipline, language acquisition and preparing the home environment for your active explorer will give you new insights into how you can optimally support your child’s development. You will be with your child as she works with Montessori materials, enjoys arts and crafts, joins circle time, learns to serve herself snack and plays with other toddlers on the playground. You’ll be able to make friends, find like-minded parents and toddlers for play dates, and learn much about child development, Montessori theory and practice.
Intro to Primary Parent & Child (2 years 9 months to 3 years 6 months)
The Intro to Primary Parent & Child program is an ideal next step as you move toward the preschool age. It’s a great way to try out the Montessori program, to help your child transition, and to learn how to apply Montessori principles at home with an older child. Each week, we’ll explore a specific topic your child would encounter in the Montessori preschool program. We’ll start with self-care skills, such as dressing and independent toileting, then move on to involving your child in food prep and ideas for independence in eating. We’ll show you how to support sensorial exploration, arts, crafts, music and movement for preschoolers. Finally, we’ll introduce you to some Montessori ideas around literacy and early number skills. You’ll be with your child and guide him as he explores, always with the coaching and support of an experienced Montessori instructor. After this class, you’ll be better prepared to both apply Montessori ideas at home, and to help your child transition into our Montessori primary program. And, of course, you’ll be able to make friends and find like-minded parents and preschoolers for play dates.
Spanish and Mandarin Options for Toddler Parent & Child
Classes led by a Mandarin or Spanish speaking instructor who will incorporate culture, language and experiences in her native tongue. Adults are encouraged to attend whether or not they speak the language. Children will be spoken to exclusively in either Mandarin or Spanish.
Parent & Child Program Details
- Parent & Child groups generally meet once a week for 8 weeks, 1 ½ hours per week. Summer sessions run shorter; check the schedule for details.
- Parent & Child sessions start four times each year: January, April, July and September
- Infant programs welcome children who are between 2 and 17 months at the start of the session; Toddler programs welcome children between 18 and 36 months; Intro to Primary programs welcome children between 2 years 9 months and 3 years 6 months at the start of the session.
- Parent & Child sessions are guided by a consistent, experienced Montessori instructor.
- Each child attends with a parent or caregiver (nannies or grandparents are welcome, too!) Twins & multiples encouraged to attend with an adult responsible for each child.
Parent & Child Enrollment
- The Parent & Child program is offered at multiple LePort locations; see below for schedule details.
- Registration is first-come, first served. Register early: past Parent & Child classes have filled weeks before the session starts.
- Registration for future Parent & Child classes will open approximately four to six weeks prior to session start.